Thursday 6 February 2014

Opera and Balthazar


I don't consider myself an expert on Opera - not even close to a beginner - but I really like going down to the Royal Opera House with my friends the Opera Lovers - as then we tend to combine the cultural bit with a dinner; indeed convenient as it's just around the corner.

Don Giovanni was the play in the programme for the evening, a story that it's really close to my heart - or my sister's-in-law heart I should say - as her PhD is based on Don Giovanni so I made sure that I was prepared - pre-reading the play and the story is highly recommended. Even if the dialogues are summarised in English in different screens across the House, it's always useful to know the story beforehand to be able to focus on the music.

I'd heard mixed reviews from Balthazar before I went there for the first time, both from the one in NYC and the one here in London, so I tried not to have high expectations to avoid disappointment. I have to say that I love the place, the noise of the full house, the drinks, the food!

We shared the ceviche, which compared to the ceviche that you can get in Peruvian restaurants wasn't too special, and the burrata that was actually quite nice. For the mains, I had a fillet very yummy (with incredible sauteed spinach); F went for the gnocchi and she said they were nothing special - please consider the fact that her dad is Italian so she's been eating proper pasta during all her life.

The wine list is purely French, and make sure you have the credit card prepared because nice cool places don't come around cheap.

Chocolate in the dessert is always a must!



DETAILS:
Royal Opera House www.roh.org.uk/- Bow St, Covent Garden, London WC2E 9DD
Balthazarbalthazarlondon.com/ - 6 Russell St, London WC2B 5HZ

No comments:

Post a Comment